Friday, September 14, 2012

In Conversation

I just laid Mordecai and Magdalena down for bed.
We read a few books before bedtime. 
We sat on the floor and snuggled.  
We played a fun game of
 "Don't throw that. Please? Hold on to it. Oh. Now go get it. Hold on to it. Don't throw it again. Oh."

Then we went through the snacks, drinks, bathroom routine. Then I was able to lay them both down. Hugs and kisses. Wishes of sweet dreams. Close the door. Take a deep breath and celebrate another day accomplished.

Tonight, I stood at their doors listening.  
Both of them, in bed, in their rooms alone, were talking. 
Just talking. 
Having private conversations with themselves and God.

I giggled, thinking of how Mordecai's conversation about
 "Bite MawMaw Mean. Be Nice. Trouble."
 and so on was an interesting prayer for God's ears
 then it struck me that the way those two are talking,
 right now,
 out loud,
 about whatever is in their minds
could be the most beautiful prayer to God.

A daily walk. It doesn't have to be formal. 
I tend to talk with God about what I feel is important.
maybe to Him,
just maybe,
Everything is important.

"The trouble with knowing people, you see, is that everything's relevant. 
Nothing is a digression."

Every Moment truly is a Highlight.

It's hard for me to wrap my head around.
But Magdalena and Mordecai get it.

I pray, one day, I will be able to stand outside the boy's room after I've closed their door for the night and I will hear The Child's voice. I pray he will learn from our example, and Mordecai's nightly chats with God, and that he will speak with God with that same candor. 

Because Mordecai's story to God about how he didn't actually bite Grandma but knew not to bite Grandma because it is mean to bite and biting would land him in trouble and that he should be nice instead? 
That is important to God.

Magdalena's story about how her friend fell and how her friend's mommy came and kissed a scraped knee and how Magda loves her friends and her Mommy and Daddy and Brothers?
  That is important to God.

Our prayers that our family not only survive but continue to be stable and thriving during the stresses and unknowns of the adoption process?  Our prayers that God help us to remember to focus on the little daily things?  A frustrated prayer while a child is tantruming for no reason? 
That is important to God.

And The Child? He is important. 
To us and to God.
His needs are important.
His life is not irrelevant.
He is not a digression.
He is a Highlight.

I know that God is listening to him already.

The Child and God.

I can not wait to eavesdrop on those two in Conversation.




No comments:

Post a Comment